"Music creates atmosphere. Atmosphere creates environment. Environment influences behavior."
-F. Richard Nibley
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
That's as close to a mission statement as I'll get here.
You can find me on LinkedIn here.
You can grab a PDF of my resume here.
And on Facebook.
CNET- January 2014. On Grammy predictions and the contrast between data-driven and human curation.
Billboard Magazine--January 2014. On Slacker's approach to curation and the pop format.
Swimingly--December 2013. On food and music and nostalgia.
Modern Luxury- October 2013. Personal profile.
Billboard Magazine--May 2013. On Slacker's redesign and content overhaul.
Forbes--March 2013. On my picks for bands to "break out" from SXSW 2013.
The Sands Report-2012. On the EDM "explosion" and it's crossover into mainstream radio.
Jacobs Media- August 2012. On my presentation at the RAIN conference, and my efforts to "humanize" internet radio.
Music Biz Podcast- August 2012. Lengthy interview with Brian Thompson and Michael Brandvold on the future of content discovery and distribution, humanizing internet radio, and static vs dynamic radio.
MediaPost- November 2011. On my attempt to marry art and commerce via a curated station featuring songs that recieved syncs in ad campaigns.
Pacific Magazine- August 2010. On re-joining Slacker after a 2 year break.
I was born and raised in a remote outpost within the Sierra Nevada mountains. I live in San Diego now and miss Northern California every day.
Professionally, I am/have been:
- A successful brand manager, specializing in restructuring and salvaging damaged and underperforming media brands
- A content curator with over a decade of experience--with a focus on the marriage of data and human curation
- A student of music curation, presentation, merchandising, and discovery--across all genres--with a focus on relationship and reccomendation data
- A broadcaster and content producer of pop-culture and satirical material with a heavy bent towards the surreal
Personally, I am/have been
- A father and husband
- A classic BMW motorcycle aficionado/moderately skilled mechanic
- A moderately skilled outdoorsman and Outward Bound alumni with focus on skiing, snowboarding, and general mountaineering
- An Arduino nerd
Some media is dynamic, and some is static. I am interested in both.